If you are unable to download P60, CT100 or VAT forms from the HMRC website, you may need to check that Adobe Reader is working correctly. Often, an issue with the installation will mean the PDF file from the HMRC site will not open automatically. The error message will then appear – “this file could not be downloaded”.
Here is how to fix the problem:
- In Internet Explorer, go to Tools (or the small cog icon) then click Internet Options
- Select the Advanced tab
- Check the Do not save encrypted pages to disk option is ticked in the security section
- Click OK
Close Internet Explorer, and then Open Adobe Reader.
- In Adobe Reader click Edit then Preferences
- Click into Internet
- Untick Display PDF in browser
- Click OK
You may need to also repair the Adobe Reader installation:
- In Adobe Reader select Help then Repair Adobe Reader installation
Once you have followed the repair instructions, you may need to restart your computer.
Finally, if this still does not work(!) you can try to upgrade your version of Adobe Reader here. You could also try a different internet browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome – either of these should work straight away.